Monday, February 16, 2015

Christmas festivities

The weekend leading up to Christmas was fun.  We really paced ourselves this year as far as Christmas festivities went.  We started with most important:gifts, parties, performances, concerts etc. and kept the baking and more low-key things for the end.  It worked out perfectly.   The weekend before Christmas was nice and slow (except for the sick kids, aka, extremely fussy baby).   We did some baking and went to see Christmas lights.  

Hudson was a disaster the whole time we were looking at lights.   Seriously, I was in the back wrestling with him through the whole neighborhood.  


The big kids loved it, though.  They had fun sticking their heads out the sunroof for a better look.  The weather was nice, so it wasn't too cold. 


We did lots of fun baking too.  I ended up doing a lot of it on my own this year.  I had some help, but most of it I did at night while the kids were in bed.  I like baking with the kids, but I have realized it goes about 5 million times faster if I just do it myself.  Madi helped the most.  Steve and Madison fought over who could lick out the bowl.  I wish there was sound with this picture.  People.  I have 5 children.  One is a 30-year-old man. 


The sunday before Christmas we all wore our festive clothes.  I didn't do it on purpose, but I realized later that all the kids are wearing something that I made them.  


The kids did not miss out on the opportunity to frost sugar cookies, though.  We had 1 p.m. church so we frosted before church.  


As you can see we have varied levels of frosting expertise.  Madison's are the ones that look edible.  Colton and Jaxon are still in the pile-on-the-frosting-and-candy stage.  Jaxon did insist on frosting all the "J's".  


Jaxon made this lazer-shooting, super hero gingerbread guy, too


This year we made 7-layer bars, peppermint fudge and sugar cookies.  We went caroling and passed them out to lots of friends.  The kids love this tradition.  I don't carol, though, I make the kids do it.


We got a group on for a trampoline park by our house, so the Monday before Christmas we went and had a blast with some friends.  Colton and I go all the time because they have $5 toddler time, but the big kids had been begging to go.  


Then we did cleaning and prep for company.  The kids are getting old enough that we can get the whole house clean in about 3 hours if we all work together.  I'm not talking dusting baseboards and ceiling fans, but we can get everything picked up, vacuumed, dusted, swept, bathrooms cleaned, and everything nice and tidy if we all work together.  It's nice to have 3 helpful kids.  

The day before Christmas Eve Chris said, "I feel like we should do something service-y on Christmas Eve."  So I called up a local nursing home and arranged for us to go and carol.  It was wonderful.  Madison accompanied the whole family on "Joy to the World".  I will say it was a proud mama moment for me when one of the workers was astonished that an 8-year-old was accompanying everyone.  She has an amazing ability for keeping a good beat and she is very confident.  Jaxon played his piano songs, too. 


Some of our other friends joined us, so we had quite a large group!


Then we did some baking and prep. for Christmas Eve dinner. Grandma taught Madison to make her famous butter cookies that Chris loves.  


Chris smoked a brisket, which turned out fabulous.  


I made my pie all fancy for Christmas.  Unfortunately, I think I under-cooked it and it end up getting really mushy really fast.  


The whole Wise family (minus Chris's sister who lives in Utah) was there!  The weather was mild enough that we did our gingerbread houses on the back porch, which made clean up so easy!


The kids do love having Uncle Steve around.


Six little gingerbread houses.  They had fun making them!


Then we did the nativity, which is always heartwarming and hilarious.  Madison and Austin were Mary and Joseph, we didn't have a baby this year to play Jesus so baby cinderella filled in. 


The angle and the shepherd duked it out.  


Colton was very serious about following the "star".


I always love when all the kids are kneeling around Jesus.  It helps me see their simple testimonies and how much pure and unconditional love children have for their Savior. 


Then we did elf P.J.'s.  Seven happy elves and one angry, tired elf.  


And these two elves who are getting so grown up and tall.


Christmas morning did not disappoint.  Madison got a new bike that she needed badly, she had the same bike since she was 5 and she could barely ride it since it was so small.   Jaxon had outgrown his scooter.  Colton didn't need anything since he gets all sorts of hand-me-downs.  He asked for "a snowboard, a skateboard, a longboard, snow skis and water skis".  He got a plasma car.  Because he's 4. 


Hudson woke up about 1/2 way through unwrapping presents.  He liked Christmas.  


Hudson got these stacking cups, which he loved.  


Jaxon's favorite gift was his paper, string, and tape.  He has used it almost every single day.  Pretty much all he does is make creations with all his supplies.  


And then we all got to Skype with Elder Porter in Brazil.  Always a highlight of Christmas. 



No comments: