Monday, August 27, 2012

Grand Finale

Our summer definitely ended with a bang this year.  Or maybe it was more like a "thud".

On Saturday night, less than two hours after returning from a quick trip to Kansas City, Madison jumped off the couch in the game room and landed weird on her arm.  (Being the excellent, attentive parents that we are we were not actually in the room when this happened so I can't give a very accurate description of the event.)  We immediately heard crying.  (And once more, being award-winning parents we made jokes to each other along the lines of, "Here comes Madison being dramatic, again.")  Madison came into our room complaining that her arm hurt.  We tried to calm her down, but she kept crying, so in exasperation I finally offered her an icepack.  When I tried to take her hand to lead her downstairs her arm was all floppy and she wouldn't move it.  Upon further examination, it hurt her to bend it or to pick anything up.  

Thankfully we aren't such lame parents that we didn't pick up on these cues, and after a few more minutes when the pain was worse and she still wouldn't move her arm, we decided to take her to the ER.  


It turns out that her arm is broken.  Right above her left elbow.  Poor kid.  She spent Sunday resting.  However, today was her first day of school.  So, poor Miss Madi started first grade in a sling and a soft cast.  To make things even crazier I had to take her out of school early to get her hard cast put on.  


However, there are a few positives to this story:

1) It's her left arm and she's right handed.

2) She broke her arm at the end of the summer, not the beginning.  

3) It's a minor fracture and she will only need a cast for 3 weeks. 

4) She is now a celebrity it and will have instant popularity as "the girl with the broken arm."


Thankfully her first day of school went well.  I was actually more nervous about her starting first grade than kindergarten because of all this drama with her arm.  She cried before she left.  She was afraid that no one would recognize her because she got a haircut.  I think it was more a combination of nerves and the pain from her arm.  But I went to check on her at lunch and she was having fun and loving it and I think her teacher is going to be awesome, so we are all doing better now, thank goodness.  


2 comments:

Jessica and Rod said...

I'm so glad it was her left arm and not her right. Hope she's feeling better.

Sarah, Nick and Seth said...

How cute is she? I love that she was worried about her haircut being confusing ... what a crack up! I bet that cast is going to rocker launch her to being the coolest girl in her class for sure!