I have a lot of people ask me how life is with four kids. It's a legitimate question. Every transition requires adjustment and some transitions are easier than others. Honestly, life with four kids has gone pretty great so far. The three year gap between Colton and Hudson helps a ton. Colton is a great little guy and he's old enough to understand when he needs to wait. Madison and Jaxon are very self sufficient and helpful. Hudson is a great baby! My only complaint is that Hudson hasn't even come close to starting to sleep through the night. I'm up with him at least twice, sometimes three times a night, which isn't abnormal, it just makes me tired! Hudson also doesn't love his carseat. He likes to sleep on his tummy, so when he's super tired and we are driving around, which we are almost always driving around somewhere, he is usually screaming in the back seat. Thankfully the big kids just tune him out. Otherwise, though, life with four kids is pretty much the same as life with three we are just busier! It's so much fun though! I really feel like being pregnant is so hard emotionally and physically that once I have the baby and I'm not pregnant anymore I'm up for anything!
And, or course, here is what we've been up to recently:
Chris had his birthday. He went snowboarding in Utah with his dad and brothers, so we just did a couple small things here when he got back. The kids made him a sign.
And we had cake! I ordered the most amazing oreo cake from a friend of mine who makes cakes, cause it's the only cake I've ever heard Chris RAVE about. It is pretty darn yummy!
Then Madison and Chris went to the annual Daddy Daughter Dance. This was their fourth time going! Madison LOVES it! Her hair turned out pretty awesome this year! I really, really love my curling wand!
The theme for the dance was masquerade, so the girls wore their fancy masks.
We made Madison's mask about an hour before the dance. Whew. Thankfully it turned out ok!
Madi and daddy
Then there's this cutie pie. I'm loving him to death. He is such a sweetie! I was afraid that after having a few babies I wouldn't think they were quite so exciting, but I honestly think I enjoy each one more than the last. It's so nice to have a sweet baby without the "first baby" learning curve!
We've also been doing some swimming. The story behind this is a little long. Last year Madison and Jaxon both tried out for swim team and made it. Then, when the first practice came, Jaxon suddenly forgot how to swim. It was super embarrassing for me because I had already gotten special permission for him to be on the team. Mostly I think he was overwhelmed by the format of a formal swim practice. Anyway, I ended up pulling him off the team because I was pregnant and in the middle of selling our house and I just didn't have the chance to work with him. He's been talking all year about doing swim team this summer. In January he did swimming lessons and did great, but he started soccer this month and we couldn't fit swimming lessons into the schedule. So I decided to bite the bullet and coach the kids myself. We've been going to the pool a couple times a month to swim laps and practice for swim team. The kids get to play on the slides when they are done, so it's a win/win.
I will admit that I did lie to one of the lifeguards that Jaxon is 7. They are supposed to have a parent in the pool until they are 7, but I can't swim laps with them and watch Colton and Hudson at the same time, sheesh. But, as you can see, Madison and Jaxon are the same size, so they didn't argue with me about how old Jaxon is. The kids are also super excited because they have both finally hit the 48 inch mark, which means they can go down the big slides!!
We also had about 2mm of snow a couple weeks ago. The kids were thrilled. School wasn't canceled, so only Colton got to play in it. He insisted on throwing snowballs at me and making snow angles on the driveway.
Hudson got his first round of shots. I hate shot day. It doesn't get any easier even with #4. But I do love babies in cute hats!
Jaxon celebrated 100 days of kindergarten! He's done great in Kindergarten! We were a little worried about sending him because he's on the younger end and a lot of parents hold their kids back if they have summer birthdays. Jaxon has done awesome, though! He loves school!
We had a little Olympic opening ceremony party with the kids a couple weeks ago. We made little popcorn torches.
And olympic cupcakes. Easy peasy, but the kids thought it was cool.
I've also had a chance to do a couple of very small projects. I made the kids these fun scripture covers. They love them. Madison has one, too, I just didn't get a picture.
This is just a random picture of Colton that I thought was funny. He looks like an annoyed commuter with his smoothie cup and his cranky face :)
The weekend before Valentines day the owner of Chris's company put on the most insane party we've ever been to. He rented out a bounce house place and hired face painter, balloon artists, nail artists, and a magician. They also had goodie bags, brownie decorating, food/wine for the adults, and Godiva chocolate. It was over the top! The kids had a blast though!
Colton loves his glasses
And the face painters were incredible!
Last week I had a great idea that I would finally paint the boys' room. As soon as I started I regretted it. I was only painting half the room (the chair rail, which was white and the bottom half) but it ended up taking me forever. Valentine's week is not a good week to add another project. Colton was excited though! One day I painted while he was napping and when he woke up he decided he wanted to watch the paint dry. He's silly.
Hudson is growing and growing. He's in 3-6 months clothes now. And he's, obviously, almost outgrown the whole state of Texas.
Jaxon started soccer again. We are hoping for more focus this year. Last year he spent most of his time looking at his shadow or making friends with the other team. This year he told us he wouldn't look at his shadow he would look at "the shadow of the ball". I guess that's a little bit better.
We did not make fancy Valentines this year. With three kids in school we had to make over 50 Valentines. So we did fun dip and ninja turtles. Colton filled out all of his himself!
And Colton got all dressed up for his party. Gosh. Sometimes I can't stand how cute he is!
Hudson and I got to go have lunch with Jaxon at school the day before Valentine's. I don't remember if I've mentioned yet how much Jaxon and Hudson look alike. They are very, very similar in looks and temperament: blue eyes, dimple chin, oval face, thumb suckers, belly sleepers etc.
Here are the Valentine's boxes we made. Jaxon ended up making a bag in class, so he didn't bring his, but I still think it turned out awesome. Colton's obviously has some mental issues or something.
And Madison made a unicorn!
We also did our annual heart hair. So easy but fun!
The weather on Valentine's Day was gorgeous, so we had the cousins over to decorate cookies outside!
And here is my sweet little Valentine! Chris ended up working late on Valentine's so we didn't do much. But we did take all the kids to see the LEGO movie on Saturday! It was pretty funny!
Then Monday I finally finished the boys room. I ended up getting a cold last week, which wasn't super bad, but it completely wiped me out, so it seriously took over a week to paint the boys' room. I really like how it turned out though!
And here's my little thumb sucker. Thank goodness for that thumb. I just wish he'd learn to get it in his mouth when he's on his back in his carseat!
Finally, we've been enjoying a nice break from the cold. It was actually 75 degrees and humid on Tuesday. Thank goodness for Texas winters. They make Texas summers worth it!

































1 comment:
So fun to see pics of all your cute kids! I'm glad that things are going so well & hopefully you start getting more sleep soon!
Post a Comment