Every year I have this great idea that summer vacation is going to be calm and relaxing and that we are going to have lots of time to practice reading and writing and piano and math and do science projects and go to a million fun places. Then summer comes. And I remember I have 4 kids and that there's a reason I don't home school. I adore having my kids home for the summer. But I need to remind myself that it will never be slow-paced and relaxing. We will always be going a mile a minute and there will be a million kids at my house and the whole house will be trashed all the time because when everyone is home and all their friends are here too, it's impossible to keep the house clean. We do get to sleep in an extra hour, and we do get to do a lot of fun things. We do practice piano more often and spend more time reading, but it is far from calm and organized over here.
This summer has also been marked by a very unique experience for our family. I would call it difficult, but I feel like there have been so many blessings that I can't just classify it in the negative. So here goes:
The first Saturday of summer Jaxon and Madison had their first official swim meet. They both did great and qualified for "a" regionals! "A" regionals is the final meet for our region--comprised of 14+ teams. They have to get a certain time to qualify to for the meet.
The first Monday of summer one of our dearest friends, Graham, was run over by a car while playing at a friend's house. He is Jaxon's age. The car ran directly over his head. We have spent a lot of time this summer watching his two brothers Brode (in red) and Rocco (in blue). Brode and Rocco have been to our house for the day every Tuesday and Thursday for the entire summer. We have also spent a lot of time visiting Graham at the hospital. Being involved with this has been a very sad and difficult, but also incredibly uplifting and miraculous experience for our family.
Jaxon has been playing flag football. He's gearing up for football in the fall.
The little boys and I have had some fun swinging at the park on the days I don't have errands while the big kids practice swim team.
This kid is seriously the cutest, squishiest little nugget ever.
Madison has started to really love reading. She's been working her way through the Harry Potter books, along with a few other books she's been reading for our summer book club.
Jaxon and Colton are pretty much obsessed with legos and they are regularly in their room building. This is Lord Business from the Lego movie.
We were supposed to go to the lake with Graham's family the weekend after he was run over. Obviously that didn't happen. We did rent a boat and go out on the lake near our house though.
Hudson loved the boat. For about 10 minutes. Then he got tired and we spent the rest of the time wrestling him. I love babies, but I especially love babies at home where they can have their normal sleeping and eating schedule :)
Madi, Jaxon, Colton and I did some tricks on the tube!
All three of the big kids learned to water ski. We got the kids some trainer skis so that they would be able to learn more easily. Totally a worthwhile purchase. The kids all got up on the skis without very much effort!
We celebrated our superhero dad for father's day. He's such a great dad! I works so hard without complaining to provide for our family.
The pool is always exciting. Sometimes accidents happen. Thankfully diapers are super absorbent and have multiple uses.
Madison and I went to visit Graham at the hospital. I've gone to the hospital at least once a week since Graham's accident. Madison has gone with me a couple of times. I've been really proud of her and how well she has handled this situation. As you can imagine, Graham was pretty beat up in the beginning. Madison wasn't even nervous to see him. She's got a big heart.
We made a summer bucket list before school got out. One of the things we put on there was a shaving cream fight. The kids were SO excited!
And the LOVED it! We will definitely be doing this again!
Sometimes I get to cuddle Hudson on the towel in the shade while the big kids swim. I love those blue eyes and that happy smile!
One of my favorite (not) things about summer is that I get to take EVERYONE everywhere. One day Colton had a follow-up appointment at the ENT and all the other kids had check-ups at the pediatrician. Let's just say exam rooms are not typically made for 4 kids, 1 mom and the physician.
Snow-cones at the pirate ship was another item on our summer bucket list. Fun venue, but not our favorite snow cones.
Madison and Brode kind of "love" each other. I try not to egg them on because they are too young for all that, but they sure are two peas in a pod.
We went swimming with some friends at their beach pool. It was pretty stinking amazing. That's a regular pool with a sand beach around it!
The kids were in HEAVEN!
Colton woke up one morning with a bloody eyebrow. We have no clue how this happened. No one heard him crying at night (even Steve who sleeps in the room next door). There was blood on his sheets and pillow, too. Poor kid, even when it was cleaned up there was a very deep gash.
The kids had a swim meet in Paris, Texas. It was very exotic. Not really, but the loved staying in the hotel.
And we got to see the Eiffel Tower of Texas! Yee haw!
Madison has been pretty focused on swim team this year. She worked really hard at the beginning of the season so that she could get moved up to swim with the 9-10 year olds. She has had some awesome meets. Even when we go swimming for fun she likes to practice her strokes. It's no surprise, this girl loves the water.
Jaxon lost his first tooth. We tied it to the doorknob and slammed the door. True story. He thought that was pretty awesome. Madison did it too!
While Jaxon and Madison are losing teeth Hudson is growing them. He now has both his bottom middle teeth.
We have taken full advantage of the library reading coupons. The kids think it's pretty awesome to get free food for all their reading!
Uncle Steve turend 30! We celebrated with a cookie cake at the pool. I happened to have Brode and Rocco with me and I was visiting teaching. So Steve was sung to by a bunch of random kids he didn't even know.
Hudson is working really, really hard to become an expert crawler.
Like I've said before, selfies are mostly dumb, but I like taking selfies with my kids. I want Hudson to remember that I loved munching on him. He obviously really enjoys it.
Grandma came to visit and Chris had the day off so we went on a little bike ride to get donuts!
Graham had his major surgery. He doesn't have any permanent brain damage, that they are aware of, but he had multiple fractures that needed to be repaired. The ward made ribbons to show their support.
We went to the movie at the pool with grandma while she was in town. We LOVE going to the movie at the pool every year! This year the movie was Frozen. It was so funny to watch all the little kids belt it out while the were swimming!
Every Saturday morning we have swim meets. We have some awesome friends that we hang out with at every meet! It makes the 5 hours in the heat a lot more fun!
Hudson has a lot of knees and I love them all.
Hudson also loves oranges and solid food. This kid has mastered solid food way better than any of my other kids! He love being spoon fed.
And finally, for his birthday Colton wants every single car, truck, helicopter, tractor, boat or train he can find. We were at Walmart one day and we spent a good 10 minutes in the toy section looking at all the options!
So that's the recap for the first month of summer. Obviously it's almost the end of July now, but that's okay.
.jpg)





.jpg)
.jpg)







.jpg)





















.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment