Every summer we go for a quick trip to Kansas. It's always fun! This trip was my first time driving all 4 kids by myself for the whole 8 hours. I was a little worried because Hudson did not do well when we went to Arkansas over fourth of July, but he actually did amazing. My record is making the trip in 7 hours and 56 minutes. This last time it took us about 9, which I think is awesome, especially considering that we stopped and sat down for lunch. I'm so grateful that I have kids who are good in the car and a daughter who is great with Hudson!
I've always said that Colton looks exactly like my brother, Garrett. Here's some proof. Colton is 100% Porter.
My parents have huge trees in their back yard. One of them has a fun treehouse in it. The kids LOVE it. They have a pulley system rigged and the kids thought it was the funnest thing ever to put stuff in the pulley and bring it up!
The had a fun time reading books and eating fruit by the foot in the tree house! The also had lunch up there.
Hudson took a bath in the sink. It was super cute!
We went to the petting zoo, as usual. The weather was AMAZING! I just really can't get over how amazing the weather has been all summer. We've been outside so much more than usual, and the weather in Kansas was heavenly!
I made Madison pose in this butterfly for old times sake. We've gone to the petting zoo quite a few times
2014
2009
2007 (different cut-out, same place, plus I love her little face in this one)
Madison is getting a little old for the petting zoo, but we still had fun. Hudson was totally zoning out on the swing with Grandpa and Madi.
Me and my posse
My dad loves rocks. He has passed this love on to my kids. We have SO many rocks in our house, and they love going to grandpas because he has so many MORE rocks at his house. They got to break open some geodes while we were there. Colton liked it, he just didn't want to take a picture. He's such a stinker.
The kids also like to visit the big fat cats. This is Merlin, he's obviously almost as big as Madison.
We went to Kaleidoscope while we were there. The kids loved it. My dad stayed home with Hudson, and it was REALLY nice to be able to just spend time with them instead of watching them play while I wrestle Hudson. Jaxon obviously got really into the crafting. Kaleidoscope is pretty much Jaxon heaven: a room full of paper and tape.
We also stumbled upon a little science exhibit at crown center across the street. Funny enough, this exhibit was in Frisco last summer. The kids loved it in Frisco and they loved it again in Kansas City.
Three kids on the bridge with the Kansas City skyline behind them!
We also drove up to see the Liberty Memorial, which is a WWI memorial. The view of KC was awesome. I wanted to get a family pic, but Madi was a chicken. I can't figure out why she didn't want to sit on the ledge next to the 50 foot drop (don't worry it was a very wide ledge). Either way, the boys were brave!
Liberty Memorial
We went to Mahaffie farmstead, which is an old stage coach stop that they have converted into a living museum. The kids got to learn all sorts of things about the "old days." Jaxon was really interested in the old "washing machine".
They loved the potato sack races, especially Colton. One of the things I love about Colton is that when he is having fun he giggles like crazy. It's adorable and hilarious!
We took a ride in a real stage coach.
The kids also got to crank the bellows in the blacksmith shop.
Grandpa hung a big swing high up in one of the trees. The kids LOVED that, especially Colton who loves swinging more than anything else! (insert giggles)
We went to the pool where I used to work and the kids loved the high dives.
Then Chris met us in Kansas City (he had to go up on business) and we all headed down to Missouri for a camping and canoe trip. We left Hudson with my mom because babies don't canoe very well.
We got a cabin for the night, which the kids, of course, thought was awesome.
We played for a while in the river the night before we canoed. I really love how green and peaceful the Ozark Mountains are.
We didn't take phones on our canoe trip, and I still need to get our underwater camera developed, but here's a before picture with grandpa. We did a 2-3 mile float. It took us about 6 hours I think. The kids really loved it. We stopped and explored a cave, Colton took a nap in the bottom of the canoe, we swam a lot. It was a super fun day!
After our canoe trip we drove half way back to KC to trade Grandpa Porter and Hudson, then we drove to Arkansas for the night to sleep over with Grandma and Grandpa Wise. Then we headed home on Sunday.
When I get the underwater camera developed I'll have to post those pics. It's just so hard to actually take film to get it developed these days!




























No comments:
Post a Comment