Thursday, January 19, 2012

Mexico

I finally got all our pictures from Mexico back!  We had such a fun trip, but I already feel like it was a month ago.  It's funny how life just keeps right on going.  There's no easing back into it.


On the plane.  We took a lot of pictures of ourselves.  Cause you know, this angle is such a great angle for anyone :)



Pina Coladas on the beach, virgin of course, it was kind of cloudy the first day we were there, so we mostly just sat by the water and enjoyed the quiet.


Chris went golfing a couple times.  I played caddy.  I'm really great at driving a golf cart...


... and drinking some Coca-Cola Light.  It was good to have my friend diet Coke with me in Mexico!


While we were out golfing we made friends with this guy.  Yes, he's real.  And he was sitting right on the course; see the sand trap behind him?  One of the groups that was golfing behind us got out to take some pics and our friend Mr. Croc started walking toward them.  I've never seen a tipsy golfer jump into a golf cart so fast!



I kind of figured the animals on the course were used to people, though.  This guy looks like he got a pretty great lunch.



The next day we went to the beach again!  The water was amazingly blue.  


And we took some more "up the nose" shots



This was the highlight of the trip for me.  It was a 3 hour bus ride each way, but it was so worth it.  The Mayan ruins of Chichen Itza are one of the new seven wonders of the world.  I have always, always wanted to go and see the Mayan ruins.  This pyramid is actually a calendar.  The math and numbers behind it are nuts.  For example: there are 91 steps on each of 4 sides, which equals 364.  Then there is one big step on top: 365 days.  It's crazy!


Each year on the spring equinox the sun shines at just the right angle to make the triangles down the back of this serpent (if you look really closely by the pink umbrella in the far left corner you can see the serpent's head made of stone).



They have only been able to restore 2 sides of the pyramid, the other two sides look like this.  I was bummed we couldn't climb it, but evidently a woman had a heart attack and fell off of it in 2006.  


This is a natural well, called a cenote.  There area actually no rivers or lakes on the entire Yucatan peninsula, all the water is underground.  The people relied on these cenotes for water.  This one at Chichen Itza is actually where they threw people to make sacrifices.  They were a pretty violent civilization at the end there.  


Mayan Tacos


The last day we were there we went to an adventure park and went zip lining


They had some jeeps you could drive through the forest and through some caves.


See the tower over my shoulder? That's the highest zip line tower.  The run from that tower to the next is 80 seconds long.


weee!


We also went swimming in the underwater caves.  It was pretty cool.  Nice and relaxing.


Cool Chris.


There you have it.  It was an awesome trip and I'm so glad we went.  I don't know when we are going to be able to do anything like that again, though.  I think my kids pretty much wore out my sister for at least a few more years :)  I definitely owe you one, Danielle!  You're the best




6 comments:

Jeni said...

That looks radical. You Guys did some really cool stuff! Looks so fun.

Jessica and Rod said...

Looks like fun!

emilie s. d. p. said...

That looks like so much fun! So glad you guys were able to have a little getaway. Go Danielle too! That's awesome that she was able to stay with the kids. I bet they loved having her.

Heidi said...

Looks like so much fun!!! Love the pictures.

Sarah said...

SO fun and I'm TOTALLY jealous! I don't think I could convince my sister to do the same! Glad you guys got a chance to get away and enjoy some relaxation!

Bassetts said...

Wowee! I could use a vacation :) Glad you guys got away!