Monday, August 31, 2015

Madison turns 9 and other random things

I obviously got really behind on the blog this summer.  But I'm determined to get caught up before baby girl comes and I, most likely, get way behind again.  I just hope that I can remember all the events of the last few months!

Every April we do bluebonnet pictures.  This last April it rained so much we had a hard time fitting them in.  One Monday night, though, it wasn't raining and I just decided to go for it.  Chris was out of town and I wasn't feeling great, but I knew it was now or never, so made the kids get changed and we headed out.  They weren't super thrilled to get all dressed up on a Monday night, but I think the pictures turned out pretty good, all things considered. 






I'm pretty sure I took this picture to document what my life looks like.  My kids LOVE to create.  As much as I want to encourage them to be creative, I kind of hate that the love it so much.  It is so much work to keep up with all their craft messes.  I can't remember the particular project that inspired this mess, but I do know that I was annoyed because it did not merit this huge of a disaster.   I always make them clean up after themselves, but we all know that can be more work than just cleaning it up.


Colton and I tried to enjoy a couple outings before the big kids were out of school and then he went off to Kindergarten.  There's an awesome park not too far away from our house that has a really fun car racing ramp.  He is still in love with cars, so he thinks it's pretty awesome.


We got more rain.  Buckets and buckets of rain.  One night we got 6 inches.  That's insane for this part of the country.  This is our backyard.  


For Madison's birthday we went camping with some of our good friends.  We go camping with them almost every spring!  Every time we camp I feel compelled to take a picture of the car loaded up.  It's so crazy how much stuff is required to go camping!


The weather was actually warm enough for the kids to go swimming in the lake.  We weren't really planning to let Hudson get in, but that didn't work out very well.  So we let him go skinny dipping.


What is it with kids and mud?  They even love gross, stinky lake mud.  Yuck!


We were camping at Lake Murray in Oklahoma.  They have a fun nature center that the kids enjoyed!  Poor Jaxon got something in his eye and we had quite a bit of drama dealing with that.  If you look at the picture below, you can see that his right eye is very swollen.  He would not leave that eye alone.  It kept getting more and more swollen and he was kind of going crazy about it.  Finally, I drove into town and went to Wal-mart and got a bunch of medicine and some eye patch bandaids so that he would keep his dirty hands out of his eye.  Thankfully, that all helped clear it up pretty fast. 


The view from the top of Tucker tower on Lake Murray.


All the kids.  Between the two families there are 9 kids.  When we have our baby there will be 10!  It's a party whenever we all get together!


We sang happy birthday to Madison and let her blow out her candles.  Madi and I made the tie-dye cupcakes beforehand and we frosted them at the campground.  They were kind of smooshed and gross, in my opinion, and the frosting was lumpy.  Madison didn't care though!  She loved it!


I also brought tinfoil apple crisp, which I must say turned out amazing.  I cut and seasoned the apples before we left, so they sat in the seasoning for a couple of days.  It was super yummy!


The second night of our camping trip it rained, big surprise.  We all had to go to bed a little early to hide from the rain.  Our tent started leaking and we thought it was going to be a soggy night, but thankfully we figured out how to use a poncho to stop the leak.  We made it through the night dry!


For Madison's birthday dinner, the day that we got back from our camping trip, we went to Palio's, which is her favorite restaurant.  She was so sweet sharing her dessert with Hudson.  She sure does love her baby brother!  He's almost two and she still hasn't gotten sick of him!


Madison had an all district choir performance right after her birthday.  Thankfully, Chris was able to sneak in the back just in time to hear her perform!


I took this picture to remember how funny Jaxon is about practicing piano.  He has picked up piano super fast.  I think he has his dad's talent.  He loves to try and sing the songs while he plays.  Sometimes he tells Colton to come and watch him so he can play music for Colton!





No comments: