Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Good News in an Uncertain World

CORRECTION: the temple in Kansas City will be in Liberty. I apologize for spreading incorrect rumors :) What can I say the Mormon rumor mill is always turning.

There is finally going to be a temple in Kansas City!!

The announcement made Saturday morning at General Conference is probably some of the best news I've heard in months. I assume most of you know that I grew up in Kansas City (on the Kansas side). Until I was 13 the closest temple was either Chicago, Dallas, or Denver, each of which was about 9-10 hours by bus. When I was 13 they built a temple in St. Louis, so then the drive was only 4.5 hours. In order to go on temple trips as youth we would have to meet at the church around 3 a.m. to make or 9 a.m. appointment to do baptisms for the dead! Temple trips were fun, but it took a lot more planning than it does now that we are here in Dallas.

Anyway, I'm absolutely thrilled that there will finally be a temple so close to my parents' house. I've been watching them sacrifice and plan vacations around temple sessions for years! What makes this all even better is that the rumors here in Kansas are that the temple is only going to be about 20 minutes from my house (sources say it will be in Lenexa for those that know the area)!

I'm so excited to be able to come up here and go to the open house and dedication. I'm hoping that I'll be able to help out with some of the volunteer work! Even though I live in Dallas now, I still think of it as our temple!

4 comments:

emilie s. d. p. said...

I know! I can't believe it, SO AMAZING! I'm really hoping I'll be able to go back for the open house and dedication too.
I thought it would be on the Missouri side, that would be awesome if it was in Lenexa!

Malerie said...

I thought of you when I heard the news :)

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for the temple to be here in Kansas!! (hopefully!) Rumor is that is will be by the new Lenexa stake center...which is less than a MILE from our place!! I can't wait for them to announce it! Either way, where ever it is KS or MO, I am just so thrilled!

Walter and Lynsi Hohmann said...

How exciting! What wonderful news for you and your family. Yay!