Thursday, September 09, 2010

3 days with 3 kids (and only 1 mom)

I think the scariest part about having another kid is... having another kid.  There were so many days when I was prego with Mr. C that I could hardly handle my 2 kids.  And on those days especially I was pretty nervous about having another little person around that needed my attention every second of the day.  The transition from 1 kid to 2 kids just about killed me, so I was pretty nervous about how things would go adding number 3.

So far, however, I'm feeling incredibly calm about the whole thing.  I think there are 3 reasons for this.  1) 9 months of pregnancy and feeling horrible taught me to care less about things that don't matter.  It taught my kids to play alone more and understand that mom can't be there for them all the time.  And it taught Chris how much I really DO need him around the house even when I like to pretend that I've got everything under control all by myself (I'm bad about asking for help). So I guess there really is a reason that being pregnant has to be so awful. 2) The other reason I feel so calm is the Spirit.  It's true.  I just keep feeling like I can do this and everything will be okay.  3) Colton is pretty awesome and a good baby.  Not too fussy and as he's the third, well, I'm okay with letting him cry a little.

Here's a recap of the last 3 days, the small victories that make me feel like I WILL be able to handle these three crazy kids.

- On Tuesday (day 1) I got up, took a shower, woke up Madi and Jax, fed both of them, fed Colton, got Madi out the door to school, got myself ready, and got Jaxon to his friend's house all by 9 a.m.

- On Wednesday I took all 3 kids to the Dr.  Colton has gained 21 oz. in a week, so obviously I haven't failed him in the food category.  Madi and Jax got their flu mist.

- Today I took Jaxon, Colton, and Jaxon's friend to the park while Madi was at school.  I also took all 3 of my kids to Target, alone because we NEEDED batteries for the kids' flashlights and chocolate pudding (evidently I am the ONLY mom at Madi's school who doesn't pack chocolate pudding for lunch).

- We haven't gone out to eat for a single meal and we've only had 1 meal brought in (which I appreciated).

- Last night all 3 kids were fed and bathed by 6:30 when Chris got home from work.

- I've also done about a million loads of laundry, mopped the floor, kept the house picked up and the dishes put away, played ponies and worked on handwriting with Madi, read books to the kids, and done all the other million little things that moms do.

- Oh and did I mention mixed in with all of this I've fed Colton about a million times a day/night too.

No I haven't done anything miraculous in the last 3 days, but I haven't lost my mind either, and we've done pretty good around here.  Tomorrow I might be feeling differently, but today I feel confident that I might be able to do this whole mother of 3 thing!

8 comments:

Joy Elizabeth Jackson said...

You ARE amazing! The thought of ever having three kids makes me want to cry, but you sound like you are doing so awesome. I'll need to reread this post in like 3-5 years when we have another one.

And I can't believe you abuse Madison by not giving her chocolate pudding for lunch. How could you? She cracks me up.

Christy and Jason said...

Way to be! Don't overdo it though:)

Danielle and Trev said...

I'm so proud of you!!!! You are my hero. It's so cute that you have 3 kids I almost just cried. I might die before November when I get to see you all!!! And Madi eats lunch at school... and Jaxon has little friends... and Colton is taking after his brother and being a cubby baby perhaps? AAAAH WHY can't I teleport to you?? We need to webcam VERY soon.

Brianne said...

Sounds pretty miraculous to me! I had many of those same feelings before Sadie was born and here we are 4 months later...we've survived (so far)! Have you really only had 1 meal brought to you? This is unacceptable! I'll be calling you to see when/what I can bring :)

Wiseguys said...

No, we have had more than 1 meal brought in. Just only 1 in the last 3 days. I just meant I've actually made dinner 2 of the last 3 days, which really is a big deal even when I don't have a newborn :)

Cris, Jon, Austin and Ethan said...

I am SO in love with that baby, Sarah!!

Sarah said...

You are Super Mom! Seriously, I'm so scared of not being able to handle more kids. You are a mommy hero!

Eric and Kathleen said...

You are amazing, sarah! THanks for this post. Being a mom can be so overwhelming sometimes, and it's so nice to know someone else feels the same as I do! You should schedule a nap in there somewhere:)
Oh, and love that little C. Want to kiss those cheeks!f