Thursday, March 08, 2012

Hard work pays off

I don't know about you but most of the time I feel like I'm working like crazy all day long just to wake up in the morning to do the EXACT same thing over again.  Sometimes I feel like all my hard work is going nowhere.  But every once in a while I stop and look back at how the kids have grown and changed and learned over the past few months and I can see my hard work paying off.

So, excuse me for bragging a bit.  But I just need to record, for my own sake, how great my kids are and how awesome they are doing.  It makes me feel better about all the meals I make that they won't eat and the times I lose my temper and all the other things that don't go perfectly all day every day :)



Madison is:



- Reading chapter books.  She just started her first one the other night.  Last night she was reading to me and I didn't lose my mind (if you've ever tried to read with a 5-year-old you know how painful it can be).   Her reading has improved dramatically since I started setting a timer and having her read by herself instead of reading with my help.
- Doing so good at getting herself up and ready every morning.  Saves my sanity and then I don't feel like I'm nagging her all morning to get out the door.
- Loving piano.  She just finished all her first level books!  She gets excited to practice and she likes to memorize her songs, not just read the music.
- Loving ballet, too.  They are getting ready for their spring recital and she is doing really well.  She showed me her dance last night and, though I'm definitely no expert, her form looked really good.  I can tell she pays attention and tries to do what the teacher shows her.
- Received the good manners award at school last quarter.  They only pick a few kids from the entire school each quarter to get that award!
- Behaving well in class.  Her teachers says she is super sweet (I guess she saves the sassiness for home) and she has gotten a smiley face in her folder every day the entire year (that means she hasn't gotten in trouble).
- Helping out with the boys so much.  I can seriously not wait until she is old enough to babysit.  She definitely has the natural nurturing instinct.  She is still completely infatuated with Colton!
- Loves school, being busy, baking, reading, playing outside, riding her bike, playing with the camera on the iPhone (see above), writing books, and coloring.



Jaxon is:



- Doing really good at writing his letters.  His handwriting is AWFUL.  I'm not going to even pretend like it isn't, but he can write almost every letter just by being told to (rather than looking at something or having me show him).
- Doing great at recognizing his numbers.  I kind of dropped the ball in the number category with Madison.  I just didn't think about it.  But Jaxon knows almost all his numbers.  It makes him an awful "go fish" partner, though.  Every time he picks up a card he says the number out loud, which obviously ruins the game :)
- Doing Madison's math games with her.  Madison has math games that she brings home each week for practice.  Jaxon, Madison, and I always play them together and Jaxon does just fine!
- Super creative.  This kid amazes me with his creativity and problem solving skills.  Instead of just whining when there's a problem (like one of his siblings) he usually comes up with a good solution all by himself.
- Behaving well in class.  Apparently he is doing really well in Sunbeams and at preschool.  I KNOW he's not perfect, but we haven't had any major issues with him this year, which is good because he went through a hitting stage last year and I was a little worried how he would do in school.
- Good at using his manners.  I have had so many compliments on how polite he is.  He is SO good at saying "excuse me" when he wants to speak to someone.
- Still taking naps 2-3 times a week.  Hallelujah! That's all I have to say about that.  Madi barely made it to 2 years old!
- Loves legos, cars, superheroes, jumping on the trampoline, reading books, playing games on the iPhone, going to the gym and pretty much anything else.



Colton is:


- Talking like crazy.  I keep waiting for my "strong silent" child.  I haven't had one yet, though.  I really thought it would be Jaxon because he's a boy and Madi talks so much.  Then I thought for sure it would be Colton, cause Madi and Jaxon NEVER stop talking.  Nope.  It looks like there will never be a moment of quiet in our house.
- Saying almost any word you tell him to say and starting to combine words into phrases.  I can tell he's really getting the hang of communicating.  The other day in church the girl in front of us tried to take his book and he said "book.... mine" (really loudly of course) then he started saying "no, no, no."
- Going to have the biggest head ever.  I know I joke about his head sometimes, but it really is huge.  He's in the 93% on head and the 20% on weight.  To top it off his soft spot hasn't closed yet, so his head is STILL growing!  He's like a little bobble head.
- The sweetest little guy ever.  When he isn't sick or teething he is the cutest, squishiest, sweetest little boy.  I absolutely adore him.   However, he's kind of like Jekyll and Hyde, cause let me tell ya, when he isn't feeling well he's awful, super clingy and whiny.
- Starting in on throwing tantrums.  I guess I should say he's the sweetest guy ever as long as he's not mad. Cause he's got a temper.  And he somehow learned to throw tantrums, which involve whining and laying face down on the floor.  Don't ever, ever try to share food with him, that's what sets him off the worst!
- Loves cars and trucks.  Like obsessed.

No comments: