Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Loving Texas

We've lived in Texas for five years now.  I've been complaining about living in Texas for the last 1.5 years.  Why you may ask?  I mean the economy is relatively healthy, the church is strong, we are in driving distance to family, we have great friends, the schools rock, what could you not love about Texas?

Let me tell you what I do not love about Texas: it's HOT.  I do not like being hot.  I do not like walking from my car to the grocery store and literally being drenched in sweat by the time I get in the store.  I know, I'm a whimp.  I do not like running my AC almost year round.  I just don't like the constant, suffocating heat.   But I realized something the other day.  It's not so much that I don't like the heat as it is that I miss having four seasons.  Texas is actually really nice in the fall, winter, and spring, but it's not the kind of fall, winter, and spring that I want it to be.  So really, the problem here is that I'm trying to force the climate to be something that it never will be.  And since Chris likes his job and we like the city we live in and everything else about Texas really is pretty awesome, I've decided I'm just going to have to force myself to like Texas.  

Sigh.  We'll see how it goes.  So far I'm doing better, but it's only March.  The temperatures are in the upper 70's and low 80's.  That's not too hard to learn to love.  It's the three months of 110 degree temps that are inevitably going to come this summer that I'm most concerned about.  But I'm determined to do it.  I think.  

Just for your enjoyment, here are a few pics. of us loving Texas this spring:


swimming in the bathtub on a rainy day


Texa pride shirt we made with a bleach pen 


cousins, I got really brave and took on 6 kids for a few hours the other day, thank goodness for the trampoline!


puppies we were at a friend's house the other day and a lady came by with 5 of these adorable little shizus 


first slurpee, not that he needs it, but he always just looks so hopefully when Madi and Jax get there's, I finally gave in


my little protege, a drink is a necessity on any shopping trip :)


swinging at the park


more cousin time, Jaxon informed me the other day that Ethan is his "best, best, best, best, best, best, best, best, best, best, best friend." 


mom's sunglasses


dad's sunglasses


And since Chris and I haven't shown our faces on the blog for a while, here's a pic of us, just in case you forgot what we look like :)

2 comments:

Malerie said...

It's been in the 80s with a little humidity here and I've been complaining! 110 with humidity would be unbearable! Good luck with that this summer. I'm like you - not a huge fan of hot weather. It looks like everyone is happy and having a great time!

Anonymous said...

I still can't remember what you look like, that picture is kind of messed up.