Sunday, September 09, 2012

Last minute vacation

I had no intention of going to Kansas City this summer.  We just didn't have any free weekends in August and the kids were signed up for gymnastics and piano and other activities in June and July.  There just wasn't a good time to go.  

Until Garrett got engaged.  Then I found out that he and his fiancé, Heidi, would be in Kansas the week before school started (which also happened to be the week after we got back from Alabama), so I figured we should go meet this girl before they get married in October.  Not the most convenient timing, but worth the effort. 

We got back from Alabama on Saturday night and left for Kansas Tuesday morning.  I was fully expecting the kids to be super sick of the car by then, but they actually did AWESOME!  We made it to Kansas in 7 hours and 53 minutes, which is record time for us.  It probably helped that we raided the $5 movie section of Wal-mart before we left.  After 24 hours of driving the week before, these kids were sick of the movies that we already have! 


The first two days we were there we did the same things we usually do in Kansas.  We went to the Legends Mall and walked around and got in trouble for letting the kids get in the fountains, oops.



We went to the petting zoo because it's free.  So who cares if we ALWAYS got there!


My kids loved the attention from all the uncles, grandparents and future aunt!


My future sister-in-law went to cosmetology school, yay!, so she gave Madi and I both haircuts.  Madi decided to try out a new look.  We cut 8-10 inches off her hair.  I actually really love it!  She looks super cute in a bob and even though it takes a little longer to do in the morning, it looks cute down all day!



The last day we were there was Colton's birthday, so we went to LEGO discovery center to celebrate.  Also, you can't get into LEGO without kids, so my brothers took advantage of my kids being there so they could get in.  The 5:3 adult to kid ration was pretty funny!


I'm not sure who had a better time the kids or the adults!



Colton definitely enjoyed himself, which is good, since we didn't get him any other presents for his birthday.  I know, we are lame, but he just didn't need anything, and I hate buying stuff just for the sake of buying stuff.  


I did make him a car cake, which he LOVED.


I can't believe my baby is 2 already.  That went SO fast!  He is still the sweetest baby on the planet about 80% of the time, but he is definitely getting into his 2-year-old mode and starting in on the stubborn tantrums!


It was a good trip.  I'm glad we went!  


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We're glad you came!!!

Love, Mom & Dad