Thursday, April 17, 2008

Mysteries about 2-year-olds

Madison is probably one of my favorite people in the whole world. I love her more than anything, but there are a few things about her that I really don't understand. I think (I hope?) that these are universal issues that all 2-year-olds have, but they really do leave me completely dumbfounded:

1) Why does she hate naps? If someone told me that I had to take a nap every day I wouldn't complain.

2) Why does she wake up from her naps in a bad mood? I mean honestly, if you're going to be grumpy keep sleeping. It's not like she has to get up when she does (especially when she only sleeps for an hour).

3) Why does she have to say everything in a whiny voice? I don't whine at her all the time. I don't know where she gets it. And it's not like she's even hungry/tired/sick, she can whine about anything at any time.

4) Why does she have to repeat everything a million times? She asks for something and then has to repeat the request a million times even when I tell her I'm getting it for her. She does this every morning with her breakfast even though she eats the same thing every morning and she knows that oatmeal has to be cooked, so it can't be ready immediately.

5) Why does she like a food one day and then hate it the next? I fix her the food that she likes the best that week and all of a sudden one day she won't eat it.

6) How do kisses make everything all better? Do I have magic spit or something?

7) Why does she eat breakfast 3 times and then get to playgroup an hour later and act like she's starving? It's kind of embarrassing.

8) Why are her toys only interesting when other people are playing with them? She couldn't care less about half her toys unless another kid decides he wants to play with it.

Now honestly I know the scientific answers to most of these questions. I've seen similar behavior from other kids her age, but sometimes I still don't understand why she has to act the way she does.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

I totally understand! All of these ring true for Brampton as well! It made me laugh. It must be something all kids do and experience. Someday we'll understand...in the next life! Until then I guess moms just have to deal with it.

Katelyn said...

Oh my gosh- you have one too! :) urgh! another one of our lastest is saying "NO" (so loud she has made herself hoarse) to just about everything... the radio station, her toys, the plants, today it was the rocking chair that was not even within 10 feet of her. Honestly- that rocking chair that has been in the same spot for years. It can't be bothering you that bad can it? We need to get together and let them crab together! :) ~ katelyn

Joy Elizabeth Jackson said...

The last time I saw Madison she could barely walk, and she was the easiest child in the world! I can't imagine her being anything other than perfect. Sorry, I don't believe you. :)

emilie s. d. p. said...

This post makes me laugh! I can just imagine her getting up from her nap cranky and you looking at her like "well if you don't want to be awake go back to sleep." I love Madison so much! So adorable, even with all these funny behaviors.
And don't worry, I know you feed your child!

Anna@Exasperation said...

I totally hear you on #7! What is with kids? They have to steal everyone else's food and act like they haven't eaten in a month. The worst is when we get to Nana's house. You would think I starve them!
p.s. How do you know the Stout's? They were in our Wymount ward!