
Last night we had another tornado warning. This is our second so far this season. It's been a different experience for me living here in Texas as opposed to Kansas, mainly because in Kansas we have basements.
At about 4:00 a.m. Chris rolled over and shook me awake. I'm a sound sleeper, so I didn't even know it was raining. I thought I was snoring or something. Anyway, I eventually got my bearings and realized the tornado sirens were going off. Was I scared? No. I was annoyed. I had to get out of my nice, warm bed and get Madison into the bathroom. And here is the part that is hard for me, in Kansas we go in the basement because it's safe. In Texas we have no basements, so we have a few choices: the closet, the bathroom, or somewhere else with no windows. Because there is no designated place I feel less inclined to seek safety. I did put a blanket in the tub and let Madison sleep in the tub so that she would be safe, but then Chris and I went and sat in the living room to watch the news in front of all of our huge windows. I guess I just don't want to go sit in the closet or the bathroom unless I know I have to.
Anyway, so of course by the time we woke up the sirens turned off about 2 minutes later. Then I couldn't get back to sleep. The baby was awake and kicking and begging for some peanut butter crunch. So I got up at 4:30 a.m. and ate some cereal. Lovely. There's nothing like a tornado warning to help whip up an appetite.
8 comments:
That would be SO scary for me. You're brave. I don't understand: why don't you have basements? Texas is still tornado alley right?
um yeah, too bad that so happened to us, but we didn't get jonas out of bed. i was like i can just go grab him really quick if something happened. yeah i need to re-check my thinking. but i couldn't go back to sleep til like 5:30. LAME! so i feel your pain!
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh i know! So annoying!
We were up at the same time and turned on the news to find out if we had to put the kids in the closet. The way our house is built, EVERY room is on the perimeter. The ONLY place that is closed off is our tiny little coat closet. We cleaned it out at warp speed (it was freakin' scary outside!) and then realized that the worst part had already passed us so we went back to bed.
Scary! That would not be fun! If it makes you feel any better I have to get up that early about once a week for school...not fun!
Definitely I want to hang out!
I'm glad I'll get to see you before you have your new baby too. Just let me know the details and what day you'll be able to squeeze me in while your here.
And I should be getting a new cell in the next few days so hopefully that will help!
How funny! I can see you doing that. Texas is stupid for not having any basements. We have one in my house in Oklahoma, but I never went down there because there were too many spiders. I guess I fear spiders more than tornadoes.
Whoa scary... I heard all about it from my sister. I have to add that we ran into Cam at Wal-Mart and he was buying that reese's PB crunch cereal that you love. He said you guys got him hooked. I hope your heart burn is better. Mine's back!
Post a Comment