Saturday, May 30, 2009

You know you're married to an accountant if....

This post goes out to all my other accountant's wife friends.

You know you're married to an accountant if:

1) Your year is split up into 2 seasons instead of 4: busy season and not busy season.

2) When your husband looks you in the eye you sometimes wonder if he's seeing you or imagining that you are a really cool spread sheet with hidden notes and passwords and lots of cool colors.

3) EVERY SINGLE LITTLE DECISION requires a spread sheet.

4) 10 p.m. is getting home early from January through April.

5) You plan your children around busy season.  (I've actually seen 2 approaches to this.  We have some friends that have gotten pregnant with all 3 of their kids the minute busy season ends.  Our personal approach is to make sure that none of our kids are born during busy season.)

6) Your kids have started calling your husband by his first name and asking "when is Chris going to come over?"

7) You don't remember the last time you actually cooked dinner and then sat down as a family to eat it.

8) You've mastered the nod-and-look-interested face whenever your husband starts talking about work.  Not because you don't care, but because, let's face it,  he went to school for at least 4 years to do this job.  It's not like you can understand it all in a 10 minute conversation.

9) You look forward to your husband passing the CPA almost as much as you look forward to the birth of your children.  Because then that darn test will finally be over!

10) You understand that busy season is not busy because your husband who works in public accounting is doing audits, not everyone's taxes.  And it doesn't end April 15.

7 comments:

Erin said...

I for sure am married to an accountant! I think I might have to print this list off and post it on my fridge. It's 100% true! One time when it was busy season and Dave was studying for the CPA, Olivia said, "Well, thanks for coming to visit," as Dave walked out the door. She didn't even know her dad lived with us! It's all worth it, right?

Joy Elizabeth Jackson said...

haha! I love the nod and look interested part. I used to do that, and then Todd would sort of quiz me on what he told me, so now I just tell him I don't want to know. Funny list!

Heidi said...

You are too funny! I love your posts. Very clever. I hope Chris' schedule has gotten better. I know you were talking about how his hours might be changing.

Kylee said...

That is absolutely hilarious! I match up with quite a few of those! I definitely nod and pretend like I understand what Russ is saying when he talks about work, but most of it just breezes past me. Very funny! Hopefully Chris' hours get better sometime soon. We actually are able to have dinner as a family again.

Abby said...

hahaha- thanks Sarah- great post. I can relate to a lot of those. I can't imagine our kids saying my hubby's name... Paxton is hard even for ME to say sometimes. :)
When was the last time we saw eachother? Like 6 months ago? Sheesh!

Anna@Exasperation said...

This list is awesome. NUMBER 10 ESPECIALLY! I've just finally given up on trying to get people to understand that "busy season" does not equal "tax season." Sigh.
And planning babies around busy season. Yes. And YES. I've had two babies very close to (or in the midst of) busy season and will NEVER EVER EVER NOT FOR A MILLION JAGILLION DOLLARS do it again. :)

Kevin and Heather Hirst said...

I totally relate to number 3-Kevin loves to do excel spreadsheets!