I've mentioned (I'm sure way too many times) that Chris is smack in the middle of busy season. This means he isn't home very often (like he works every Saturday and got home at 2:30 a.m. this morning). Usually when I talk about this season of the year I have more of a "woe is me" attitude. But this afternoon I got an e-mail from Chris that changed my perspective a bit. All it said was "It was nice to see everyone this morn." He actually saw the kids before work today because of the above mentioned late night at the office. Usually he's gone before they get up. Right then it hit me: What would I do if I only saw the kids for a few hours one weekends? I immediately came to the conclusion that I wouldn't be able to stand it. I would miss so much:
- Going in to get Jaxon in the morning and having him tell me "Mom-mom I sleep again." Then having him proceed to talk to me about his shoes, his blanket, food, and whatever else comes to his mind.
- Having in depth conversations with Madison about the fact that her plastic lizard is, in fact, a toy, not a dead lizard.
- Going to the park and swinging on the swings for 30 minutes straight.
- Swimming at the rec. center.
- Getting McDonald's breakfast with Jaxon while Madi is at school and watching him run around saying "here bird" while he tries to feed the birds his biscuit.
- Teaching Madison to write her name and then helping her practice writing the names of all her friends and family, and watching how excited she gets when she realizes she knows how to do it.
- Hearing Jaxon say the dinner prayer and thank Heavenly Father for "his cup, his fork, his juice, his bagel and Madi's juice."
- Hearing Madison say her prayers and thank Heavenly Father for "conference and that we could hear the prophet."
- Seeing Madison learn to take care of her brother and really love and look out for him.
Every night if I'm still awake when Chris gets home I lie in bed and tell him all the funny/good things the kids did that day. While there are definitely days when I'm completely fed up with being a mom, I honestly don't now what I would do if I missed most of what they do everyday. I'm so grateful that Chris is willing to work long hours, without complaining, so that I can be home with the kids.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Gosh, Sarah! This post made me cry...:( It might just be because I'm really emotional being pregnant, but those things that your kids do are so cute! And I wish we lived closer because Zack and Jaxon would be such good friends. They are doing exactly the same things!
Yeah, for being able to say at home!!! Steven has been lucky with his busy seasons (2 so far) he sees the kids most mornings. Sarah you are a super Mom!!! While typing this I discovered elliott running around with my craft scissors... opps haha
that is so sweet. what a great hubby you have.
I think this all the time! I would never trade places in a million years!
So true...being a mom (even though it is often hard, dirty and not glorious) is all composed of all those small moments that mean everything. I don't know how our hubbies doe it either...I would complain all day if I had to work like that!
Post a Comment