Monday, July 19, 2010

Me and My AC

 I'm addicted to AC.  I can't really take all the blame for this.  My parents are also lovers of AC.  My dad has some health problems that cause him to overheat, so their home is usually kept around 70 all summer.  I have, however, caught my dad sneaking the thermostat down to 68!  68 degrees.  I have to pack footie PJ's and sweat shirts when we go visit in August.

So, the fact that I keep my house at a balmy 73-75 degrees all summer long is actually kind of a big step for me.  This weekend, however, our downstairs AC went on the fritz.  It's still blowing air, just not cool air.  Our lower level has been around 79-81 degrees all weekend and it's killing me!!  I just do not function well when the house is that hot.  I know most people keep their homes around 78 degrees all summer, so I shouldn't be complaining, but I'm just not one of those people.  I'm not used to sweating in my own home while I'm just sitting on the couch watching a movie.  I'm used to spending the summer hiding indoors from the heat and wearing a sweatshirt because the house is so COLD!!

Thankfully, we have two air conditioning units.  Our upstairs unit is working just fine, so we've been spending a lot of time upstairs this weekend. We also have a radiant barrier which keeps our electric bill decently low.  Low enough that I can justify keeping the house at 73 degrees.  I just pray it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to fix this thing.  We don't really have a lot of loose change lying around right now, what with the baby coming within the next month.  Sigh.

I am just trying to look on the bright side, at least we HAVE AC.  If I had been a pioneer I would have been a very, very cranky pioneer. (not that I would have know the difference since AC wasn't even invented).  I just can't imagine spending an entire summer in TX without AC.  We didn't have AC for the first 3 years we were married and although we lived in cooler climates, there were still some very hot days. I'd give up a lot of other conveniences before I'd give up my air conditioning! I just don't love sweating in my own house!  So I'm just counting my blessings and hoping we can get the problem fixed soon!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

man:( You must be swing when you come to my house to V-T:( Cause mine is usually at 78 when ppl come over and a bit higher when we are alone. Steve lowers it when he is home though. I just don't get that hot and I hate to spend money on a/c. I figure I don't want to pay to wear winter clothes in the summer;) But if I was preggo I would be sweating and keep it lower! I hope you get it fixed and it doesn't cost too much! I wish we had radiant berrier...I always wondered how much of a difference it makes......

Michelle said...

I agree. I can't function when it gets too hot!! I think it has something to do with growing up in Seattle- WHen it hit 70 plus my mom had fruit and ice cream for dinner because it was too hot to cook! Good luck with everything.
Love,
Aunt Michelle