Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Proof that I can do more than just complain

Apologies everyone, I've been in sort of a funk lately.  I'm not going to lie.  I'm pretty much perpetually cranky at this point.  I try REALLY hard not to be, but all my efforts actually just seem to wear me out more and make me even more cranky.  So yeah, not so much happy sunshine over here these days, but the end is fast approaching and then normal Sarah will be back.  I miss her.  I keep reading my blog from the past couple years (mostly to encourage myself that I can handle a newborn) and every time I read it I think "wow, I'm not always cranky, fat, tired, and impatient".  Anyway, just bare with me.  We're almost done with this ordeal.  My mom calls it 9 months of torture.  I think that's pretty accurate.

Yesterday, however, was wonderful.  I've reached a point with Madison where I'm about ready to ship her off to boarding school.  God gave me Madison to teach me about all my faults.  I absolutely love that girl, but she tries every ounce of patience I have in my body on a daily basis (I'd go into details here to prove my point, but I'm trying NOT to complain right now).  Anyway, my sister-in-law was kind enough to take her off my hands for an entire day.  Yes, from 8 a.m. until 9 p.m. I had only one child.  One wonderful, happy, unquestioning, non-argumentative child.  Not only is Jaxon much less difficult at this stage in his life than Maid is/was, but he also takes super awesome 3-hour naps.  Double bonus!

I can't even tell you how wonderful it was to go everywhere and do everything with just 1 kid.  More than anything, though, I really appreciated spending some one-on-one time with Jaxon.  He's a lot quieter when he's not fighting Madi for attention.  He was cracking me up because he kept playing with things that Madison doesn't usually let him play with, like her doll, and he kept saying "this is Madi's" like he knew he was getting away with something he couldn't usually!



Here is my little buddy playing basketball, which he usually calls soccer ball.  He loves basketball and lets me just sit on the floor and watch and cheer and occasionally he brings me the ball so I can take a shot.  Then he says "good job mom, good job" and makes me feel really cool for making a basket!

Then we played "hi-yah" which means we get spatulas and pretend like they are swords and we duel.  It's kind of scary because he doesn't have the best depth perception, but it's fun and he gets really into it!

Then we read books.  And since Madi wasn't there we could read half of each book and not read the real words and no one put up any fuss.



We also frosted cinnamon rolls.  I let him lick the beater and when I turned back he was dipping the beater into the frosting bowl for seconds.  Nice try.  So I took the bowl away and when I turned around again he was trying to use a measuring cup to get some powdered sugar out of the bucket so he could "drink it."  Goof ball.

And that's about it.  We had fun, my little man and I.  He's a pretty sweet, happy little guy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel! I am counting down the days when Seth will be shipped off to my parents. Having 2 boys fighting constantly while you are trying to get some work done is no fun task. And you are not too cranky; you're just too hard on yourself. You're still the same ole Sarah I met over a year ago.

Anna@Exasperation said...

I know the feeling. I get positively chipper on Tues/Thurs when both boys are in school for a couple hours and it's just me and Soph. Chipper, I tell you!
And you should feel free to complain. I did/do/will continue to do so. It's every mother blogger's right!

Amanda said...

YOu allowed to complain whenever you want;) But ESPECIALLY when preggo in the heat! Glad you got a day "off" kind of:) And I wouldn't care if Jax licked the spoon those cinnamon rolls are DIVINE and I would have eaten them anyway:)

Heidi said...

I love your blog! You just say it like it is! Let me know when I can take Madi for you. Ashlee loves to have her over (so do I).

Abby said...

yum cinnamon rolls. You have a good recipe I presume? I have been wanting to make those actually...so I think I'm gonna want that. :)
Glad you got a break for a day!! Madi is just too cute !!