Monday, November 08, 2010

The Fruit of my Labors

Let's face it.  There isn't a lot of glamor in motherhood.  When it comes down to it being a mom is just kind of a messy job.  Messy, loud, repetitive, exhausting, you get the picture.  Not much of what moms do all day stays done.  Change a diaper- it gets poopy again.  Make a meal- it gets eaten (then becomes the poopy diaper).  Sweep a floor- why even bother?

Sometimes I feel like the chores will never end.  And if I ever do reach the end of the to do list I'll just have to start back up at the top again.

However, and this is the part that doesn't logically make sense, the longer I'm a mother, the more I love it. The more kids I have the more I enjoy them.  I'm seriously up to my eyeballs in messes and body fluids and questions and responsibilities, but I love it.

I came across this scripture this morning while I was reading:

Alma 36:25 "... the Lord doth give me exceedingly great joy in the fruit of my labors." And it really hit home to me.  Being a mom is HARD.  I mean really, really hard.  But I know being a mom is also what I have been called by the Lord to do, and, therefore, despite all the not-so-glamorous parts, I find joy in motherhood.

And it's moments like these that bring me the greatest joy:


Madison unfolding the wonders of "Jig and Mag" to her brothers.
(Did Jig win? Jig did win.)

By the way, who decided to name the characters in the book Jig and Mag?  I mean seriously?!  Are those even real names?  I know there aren't a lot of three letter names that are spelled phonetically, but Jig and Mag? C'mon.  Every time she reads the names she looks really confused and I have to assure her that yes, she did read it correctly.



2 comments:

Amanda said...

LOVED this. thx.

Bethanne said...

You are such a great mom. Sometimes I get lost in the work of it all and in my job and in a frustrated, pity me state...But it is the amazing little moments that make it all worth while. Taking the time to enjoy each other. I totally agree!