Dinner time stinks. I know that research shows that kids who eat dinner with their families regularly are less likely to be involved in risky behavior. I'm a human development major. I got that little tidbit pounded into me relentlessly by my professors for years. The part they left out was how HARD just feeding the kids can be. Conversation and bonding time is almost completely lost in the mayhem of "I don't like this", "How many bites do I have to eat", "Jaxon, if you spit that bite out you're going in timeout, just chew it and drink your milk," "Da, da, da (which quickly evolves into crying from Mr. C), "Potty, potty, potty" (which is Jaxon's attempt at going to the bathroom to spit his food out in the toilet, we're gonna have to keep an eye on that one) etc. Sigh. Sigh again. It's a daily struggle. Actually it's a 3 times a day struggle. And my attention is so split between those three kids that by the time dinner is over I'm beat.
And sometimes I might send Chris e-mails at work that say "Dinnertime stinks". Maybe. But not often.
So then when we talk about adding more kids to the craziness he always looks at me like I'm nuts. I guess it's my own fault. It's so much easier to explain the difficult parts of being a mom than it is to explain the fulfilling, wonderful, amazing moments of being a mom.
So, this is for Chris, a sampling of why I really DO love being a mom (even though I still DO think dinner time stinks)
- Madison came home today with her first homework from Kindergarten. They assigned her 4 activities to do throughout the week, 1 for each day. She sat down and did all those activities in 30 minutes. And then she kept making up her own homework to do for the next 30 minutes, it was adorable, endearing, and gratifying to see her love learning.
- Madison got a positive office referral last week. She was beside herself with excitement. She got that office referral for "Listening in class, following directions, and using her writing skills to write great stories." High five to Madison for rocking Kindergarten.
- Madison LOVES playing piano. She really does. And I think she is doing super great. She begs me to let her play the little recital song she memorized and she doesn't fight me when it's time to practice.
- Tonight Madison had to read for 15 minutes as part of her homework. She's been reading for a while now, but it's been kind of slow progress because we went through a period where she FOUGHT me through every word, so I gave it a break. I guess that period is over, because today she read for that full 15 minutes and she didn't fight me and she read really well! So glad that phase is over.
- Madison lives in her own little world. Tonight while she was outside riding her bike I heard her narrating a complex story line that involved some imaginary characters. Not quite sure what they were doing, but I love hearing her play like that.
- Before we read books tonight Madison was dancing around the house with her rock star glasses on singing "Dynamite" by Tao Cruz. I hope that little girl never loses her flair for life!
- Colton is WALKING! I can't even describe the excitement of watching a kid learn to walk. It's like he's my first baby all over again. I've been sending movies to the whole family. I just think it's the cutest thing when these sweet little babies learn to walk and then they turn into miniature people, chubby miniature people in Colton's case. Plus they all walk like drunken sailors and it's hilarious.
- Colton is learning so quickly. He knows and understands a lot of words. I've always tried to talk to my kids beyond what I think they can understand and it always amazes me what they do understand. The other day I asked him what was in his mouth and he took out whatever he was eating and gave it to me, gross, but very helpful since I don't think it was edible.
- Colton gives the best hugs and has the brightest smile. When Jaxon and Madi are at school, Colton and I usually run errands. Colton just sits in the cart and waves at everyone. Then he gets bored and I let him get out of the cart and he helps me push it. When I'm shopping alone with Colton everyone tells me how cute he is, which of course, I love. (I've noticed when I'm at the store with all 3 of my kids people avoid me like the plague.)
- Jaxon is HIL-AR-I-OUS. He's been a funny kid since he was born, but he's even more entertaining now. That kid talks a mile a minute and his brain is always going. It's exhausting to keep up with him. He's super creative and his imagination is amazing. Today he asked me if one of his toys "blew away in the wind to another house with another boy who had swords and a seat belt" obviously those are his priorities: swords and belts. He is also into reincarnation lately. He's always saying "when I'm baby Colton" or "when I'm mommy." Cracks me up to hear his perspective on every one.
- Jaxon always has dirt on his face. I wash it like 5 times a day and there is always dirt there 20 minutes later. He's definitely a hands-on kid. His new favorite toy is DUPLOS, which I'm thankful for because it's more constructive than sword fighting. He likes to build airplanes and fly his superhero guys around the house. He also loves to cut paper. He hasn't cut anything he's not supposed to, so far, so it seems like it's a pretty good activity for him.
- Jaxon is definitely a 3-year-old, but he's also super sweet. He's so excited that Colton is walking and I'm thinking in a very short time those two are going to be inseparable. I love spending time with him while Madi is at school.
- I think I worry about Jaxon the most right now. I feel like he's lost in-between his big sister who is involved in lots of activities and is very demanding of my attention, and his little brother who is an impatient 1-year-old and is also very demanding of my attention. Jaxon is pretty laid-back and easy going, which is good, but I don't want him to be overshadowed.
And THAT is why I love being a mom. Because I have 3 great kids with completely different personalities and strengths, and it's an adventure discovering who these little people are and watching them grow and learn and thrive.



1 comment:
LOVE those kids!!! They are so great!! And you are such a great mom!!! I keep thinking about our party in January :)
Post a Comment