Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Camping is almost as fun as Dinseyland

I love to travel.  Mostly I just like to get out of the house and DO things.  I get cabin fever in about 2.5 seconds.  I have no idea why.  I just like to mix things up from time to time.  

Anyway, I love to travel, but I don't love to spend the money traveling.  I mean, sure, I'd love to pack up the car, or better yet, jump on a plane, and take the whole family to Disney for a week!  That would be fun.  But honestly, my kids don't even know what Disneyland is.  We took Madison when she was 4, but I don't think she remembers and the boys don't know what they are missing out on.  Really when it comes down to it, it's all about the family time and the time away from the house and the routine.  It doesn't matter a whole lot where we are as long as it's fun and we are together.  Plus, driving to Oklahoma 2 hours away and spending $60 a night on a one bedroom cabin is WAAAAY cheaper than 5 plane tickets and hotel and the cost of Disneyland.  

This is actually one of my goals for the year (and for always really).  I want to do lots of fun trips with the kids that aren't expensive and insanely complicated.  There are tons and tons of fun things to do in Texas.  It's a massively huge state with just about every climate (except cold).   And the kids really aren't missing a thing.  At least for now, until they are old enough to appreciate things like national monuments or church history sights.  

At the beginning of November we went on a fun family trip to Lake Murray, Okalahoma, which is about 2.5 hours north of us.  We pulled the kids out of school a few hours early on Friday and headed up.  As I was 8 months pregnant and the weather is pretty cold at night during that time of the year, we opted to get a very small cabin instead of tent camping.  I like tent camping, but the cabin was well worth the $60 fee.  We had running water, refrigeration, a restroom, and heat.  Plus we didn't have to pack as much gear, so we had room for bikes in the truck.  

The first day we got there we just hung out and let the kids run around.  We had mini-pizzas for dinner and made s'mores.  



The kids had fun riding bikes, as always. 


Saturday we hiked to the top of a lookout tower.  The view was gorgeous with the changing leaves.  


The kids played around by the river.  


We enjoyed the beauty of fall.  


And Jaxon found some ninja weapons, as always!


The kids got to go horseback riding with Chris.  I couldn't go cause of the baby, so I stayed back with Colton.  They loved it!




We also tried our hand at fishing for about 45 minutes, but we are terrible fishermen and it got too dark and cold too fast.  Colton loved it though.  He kept saying "I'm so good at fishing."  Really, though, his hook was about 2 feet away from him, barely in the water!


Sunday we went to church and then went to Turner Falls to hike around.  Turner Falls was gorgeous.  They have a couple of small caves that the kids enjoyed.  



There's also an old stone castle on the property.  It was the summer home of some prominent Oklahoma man at one point.  Pretty random, but fun to climb around in.  


We also hiked up to another little cave.  


The views were beautiful.  Absolutely breathtaking.  This was probably one of my favorite parts of the trip.  I always miss the fall leaves a little in Dallas because it only seems to be fall for about 3 days.  





So yeah, it was a fun trip. We enjoyed being with the kids and our dad.  It was good timing before the baby came and traveling got a little more difficult for a while!



No comments: