Thursday, January 23, 2014

The first week of Hudson's life

I think we can all agree that the first few weeks of a baby's life are a blur.  I hate that.  I don't think there's any way of escaping it, but it still stinks.  I finally had this cute little man and I tried so hard to just cuddle him and enjoy him, but then I was sore, and waking up all night and day, and trying to get nursing under control, and trying to spend a little time with the other 3 kids so they wouldn't feel left out.  Oh and then a huge ice storm hit and we were all stuck in the house for 4 days.   And the kids missed two days of school.  That definitely added to the insanity.  The next thing I knew the first week was over.  

Here's a look into Hudson's first week on this earth: 

We played dress up.  

The mustache-ifier,


the teddy bear. 


and the chubby little Christmas elf


Everyone took turns holding the baby.  Colton was thrilled when I let him give Hudson a bottle!


Jaxon was playing pirate and wanted to hold Hudson.  He pulled off his eye patch and said, "Don't worry Hudson, it's just your brother Jaxon, I'm not a pirate."  I'm sure Hudson was worried.


We played outside with grandma on the ice.  If you look closely at this picture you will see that there are no footprints in the snow.  That's because it's actually a sheet of ice.  It was crazy.  The kids had fun ice skating around the back yard!


One of the days Chris was home he took the kids "sledding."  Really he just tied a rope to an old cookie sheet and pulled them around.  Chris is the only person in the whole family who owns adequate clothing for the winter weather.  




We also had fun frosting sugar cookies. 


The kids made a little snow storm inside, too.  They spent a couple of hours making snowflakes.  Jaxon was especially amazing at making snowflakes!  We were all really impressed at some of the intricate patterns he made! 



On Sunday we had a family get together with the Wise cousins so that we could do our annual Grandma's Christmas party while Grandma was still in town helping with the baby.  Hudson was the sweetest baby Jesus.  This was the first year we had the kids play the roles of Mary and Joseph!  



And this picture just melts my heart.  All the kids were so sweet kneeling around baby "Jesus". 


We also made gingerbread houses. 


This is the pond that Madison insisted we put in the front.  Jaxon made the little fish (gum drops with cane cane fins).  I helped them make the duck.  



All the crazy cousins with grandma.  Hudson was #10 for the Wise side.  It's getting crowded!


This is pretty much what Hudson did his whole first week, except at 4 a.m.!  Such a cute little squishy guy!  


Colton got some bubbles front grandma and insisted that we blow them, despite the freezing weather. He's so silly.


Oh and Uncle Steven passed through.  He was in town for a wedding.  We had fun seeing him and letting him meet Hudson.  


So yeah, there's a little taste of Hudson's first week.  Add to that being up all night and feeding him every 2.5-3 hours and helping the kids take turns holding him and all the other craziness of having a newborn.  It's no wonder that the first week flew by!




No comments: