Engagement pic.
When my sister was engaged Chris said to me one night, "I just want you to know that I really love you." Now obviously I know he loves me, but then he said, "I just don't want you to look at your sister and Trevor and wish that we were still newly weds like that." I was impressed that he had even considered that I might be feeling that way. But honestly, that thought hadn't even crossed my mind. I don't miss being newlywed. I don't wish we were still in the honeymoon stage of our relationship.
In the past 6 years a lot has happened. We got engaged and got married. We both completed 3 years of college and graduated. I've been pregnant 5 times. We've started raising 2 kids. We've moved 8 times. Chris passed his CPA. We've survived busy season (almost) 3 times. We've been on vacations, dates, and family outings. We've gone to church every Sunday and to the temple almost every month. We bought our first home. We wrestled with the kids and danced in the living room. You get the picture: we've experienced married life.
My point is this: while we may not be in the giddy first days of dating or the honeymoon stage of our marriage, I wouldn't trade this point in my life for the world. Yes, I had to run to the bathroom and puke right when Chris was getting ready to kiss me good-night last night. No, I don't see him often at all, and when I do it's night time and I usually feel yucky. But I still love him. In fact, I love him even more than I did back then. And I never would have thought that a casual date 6 years ago to an acoustic guitar concert would have lead to all this!


9 comments:
Wow, you really were some roommate to choose to go to my lame concert on your first date! :) It was really fun living in an apartment of 6 girls getting to experience everyone's dates and being in each others' business. Ha! Happy 6 years of knowing Chris. Miss you guys!
You guys look like you did 6 years ago! You age very well. I miss being in the honeymoon stage sometimes.
:)
AWWWWW!!! you guys are so cute :)
I love it...it is so true! Have you heard the country song "then" by brad paisley...I LOVE it! It talks about how our love in our marriages just gets stronger and stronger. So touching.
awww how sweet. That IS pretty amazing that Chris thought of how you might be feeling... way to go Chris.
Sometimes I do wish we were newlyweds again though- well because we were a lot more spontaneous then.. it's kinda hard to be spontaneous with a little one. But hey, I love my baby- so it makes it even.
I need to come see you sometime.
Sarah, I loved your post---poignant and sweet. And serious points in my book for Chris' comment---very endearing!
I love that he thought to say that:) So sweet!
But it's so true. I would not trade what we're dealing with now (ALL OF IT!) for those first days, even with their butterflies. I love being settled and comfortable and happy. It's the best!
Cute post!
Really beautiful picture of you guys. Congrats on 6 years!
that really was quite sweet, Sarah. And I too was so impressed with Chris' thoughtfulness...That's not the side everyone sees.
Post a Comment