Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The last 7 days

It's amazing the difference a week makes.  7 days ago I still had a huge, wiggly lump pushing on my bladder all day and night.  And here I sit, a week later, having survived my first 7 days as a mother of 3.  Thankfully, I've had TONS of help from Chris's parents, Chris, and my mom.  I can't imagine trying to recover from having a baby without having extra help around.  

There really isn't any exciting birth story to tell.  I went in Aug. 24.  I started pitocin at 9.  Broke my water at 11.  Started pushing around 2:40 and had Mr. Colton at 2:45.  Only 5 minutes of pushing!  Wonderful.  Recovery this go around hasn't been as easy as with the first two, but then again with the first two I didn't really ever feel any actual pain postpartum.  Afterpains this go round where pretty much horrible to the point that I actually ended up getting a pain shot the first night.  But after that things have been fine and I'm feeling really good!  I'm so, so, so relieved not to be pregnant anymore.  

The kids are absolutely infatuated with their brother.  All day long they want to take turns holding him and kissing him.  I finally convinced them that he doesn't want a binky shoved in his mouth while he's sleeping and that he can't hold on to toys yet.  Jaxon keeps trying to give the baby high fives and Madison just wants to kiss him to death.




So far this little man appears to be a dream baby.  He's been a quite little guy.  He rarely cries.  He eats wonderfully and he's been sleeping a couple of 3 hour stretches every night.  When he wakes up during the night he eats and then goes back to sleep, so I'm actually feeling decently rested (it's not like I was sleeping decently during my last month of pregnancy any way). 

Colton survived his first bath.  He was quite calm and happy throughout the whole thing.



 
Like I said, the kids just can't get enough of him.  I'm glad I invested in a really good swing this time around.  It keeps the kids off the baby!




Madi started preschool today.  The big event this year is that she gets to eat lunch at school!!  She was begging all day yesterday to pack her lunch!  Life is just way too much fun when you're 4.




And here is the obligatory movie star pose.  I got done taking pictures and Madi said "don't you want me to do a movie star?"  Of course Jax man had to jump into the action in his Buzz jammies and his woody vest!




And there ya go.  First 7 days down.  Only a million more to go.  My mom will be here until Monday, then the real work begins!

6 comments:

Amanda said...

glad u have lots of help right now, and that most of the pain is gone;) Sounds like you are doing pretty darn good so far.....He is just precious and tiny!

Sarah said...

I couldn't do it alone either! Congrats on the adorable little bundle! I can't believe you have 3 kids! The way I think of it is if you can handle the first 7 you got no problem! :)

Christy and Jason said...

Sounds like you are handling everything well. Your kids are too cute with him, and what a cutie he is!

Abby said...

way to go. yeah I was so sad when my mom left. it was so nice having her help and do anything i asked. Let me know if you need anything- a meal, a break, a nap, a kid's straight jacket. whatever!
i am excited to meet this new little wise boy.

Eric and Amy said...

Congrats! Colton is ADORABLE! I know what you mean about keeping the kids off the baby ... that's impossible :). Good luck over there!

molly said...

Just wanted to say hi. I am Amanda Whitley's sister and I actually grew up in the same ward as Chris. My son Tyler is in Madi's preschool class. He told me today that he thinks she is cute :) Good luck with your newest little one. I'll be joining you soon. Only 9 more weeks to go.