Friday, October 01, 2010

Meningitis

It's been a crazy few days for the Wise family.  Colton was released from the hospital this morning after spending 48 hours being treated for viral meningitis.

Here's the story:

Wednesday morning I noticed that Colton was really hot when he woke up.  I figured it was just because he was all bundled up.  I got all the kids ready and we went and ran some errands.  Colton was sleeping a lot so I didn't pick him up much.  Wednesday evening, however, I picked him up to feed him and noticed that he was still really hot.  He had been sleeping in his bouncer under the fan without a blanket so I was a little concerned at this point.  I took his temperature in his armpit and it was 101.4.  I've actually never really had a kid with a fever, so I called the pediatrician to see if I should be concerned.  It was after hours so I just talked to the nurse.  The nurse had me take his temperature rectally.  This time it was 102.9.  That's high!!  She told me I needed to take him to the ER.  Thankfully my friend Jennifer was over, so she stayed with the kids and I went to the ER with Colton.  

We got to the ER around 6:30 and they spent the next 5 hours running a million tests on him.  They tested everything from his urine to his blood and even did a nose swab.  All the tests came back fine, so I was starting to think that it was just a virus or something and they'd send us home.  The ER doctor came in and said they wanted to do a spinal tap to make sure it wasn't meningitis.  I figured that this was just an extreme precaution.  Evidently not.  The spinal tap showed that he did in fact have meningitis, so they admitted us to the hospital.

We were finally admitted around 11:30.  Chris had been at home with the kids during this whole time.  When we were finally admitted he woke up our neighbors, K.C. and Sterling from across the street.  K.C. stayed on the couch to listen for the kids and Sterling came to help Chris give Colton a blessing.  At this point his fever was under control with tylenol and he was just lethargic.  The rest of the night was kind of a blur with waking up to feed Colton and dealing with the monitors going off all night long.  I think I slept about 3 hours or so.

Thursday morning the nurse came in and told us that, thankfully, Colton had viral meningitis, which is less severe and has less chance for long-term side effects.  It also meant that they didn't have to have him on his IV anymore because there isn't any medication for it.  His fever was high again, back to 102.9, so they gave him tylenol, but he was pretty alert.  We farmed the kids out to friends, so Chris was able to come up and visit for a couple of hours.  I spent the rest of the day keeping a close watch on the little man.  The doctor said he wanted to keep him one more night just to be safe.  

Thankfully, all went well last night.  Colton was released from the hospital around 10 this morning.  His fever hasn't spiked again and he's been acting completely normal.



He really didn't seem too bugged at all to be hooked up to all the monitors.

I want to thank everyone for all the help we have been given.  I can't even put into words how grateful we are to have so many people reach out to help us.  Most especially thank you to everyone who helped with the big kids so that we could be with our little man.  Thank you for the e-mails, phone calls, text messages and facebooks posts.  Above all thank you for your prayers.  We feel very blessed that such a scary situation has been resolved so quickly and positively.  

Colton is doing great and back to his normal self.  He's been given a clean bill of health. 

14 comments:

Jessica and Rod said...

You poor thing! I'm a total mess when my kids get the sniffles. I can't imagine! I guess that's why you weren't at playgroup :)
I hope everything is going okay. Let me know if you need help.

InWeighOverMyHead said...

soooooooooooooo glad he is ok!!!

Amanda said...

Oh my goodness I had no idea!I am so glad all went well and he is home and safe with you:) I am with Jessica I hate having a sick kid more than anything and a sick baby is the saddest thing to me:(

Christy and Jason said...

So sorry to hear about Colton, but so glad it went as well as it did!

Rachel Mohat said...

What hospital did y'all go to?

Wiseguys said...

Childrens medical center at legacy

Malerie said...

Oh man what a scare! I'm SO glad he's doing ok. It's really hard to see such a little guy go through all that. I'm glad you have such good friends there to help you.

Sarah said...

How scary! I hope you are doing okay after all that worry and stress ... i know i'd be a mess! I'm glad you have some good friends close to help you out! So glad to hear that Colton is doing well and back to normal!

Kylee said...

Sarah, that is crazy! I am so glad to hear that Colton is ok and back at home. I am also glad you have good friends around to help. I wish we just lived right across the quad and could have helped too! :)

Kevin and Heather Hirst said...

So sorry to hear about that--That must have been so scary. I am glad everything turned out ok.

Bassetts said...

Wow! Can't believe it. So glad he's ok. Wish we were there to have helped. Stay strong little man!

Bethanne said...

Omigosh, Sarah!

I am so glad that everything turned out okay and that you were able to get some help at the same time. Wow.

Cris, Jon, Austin and Ethan said...

We are so glad the little man is better, we were Seriously so scared, but our Prayers were heard.
Love you Little Man!

Danielle and Trev said...

So Trevor and I were discussing it... and we think it's time for a new post. We get sad every time we go to your blog and it says, "meningitis" and has a depressing picture of our baby neph in the hospital. Even if it's just one picture and zero words. This one is sad!