Saturday, February 05, 2011

My groove

I have a groove.  A pattern of behavior.  A rhythm in which I live my life.  And this crazy, insane ice storm has thrown it off.  I don't mind being thrown off my groove occasionally. It's nice to change things up.  Add a little unexpected excitement. But I'm always ready to get back into it when the time comes. 


I really can't even describe how crazy this week has been.  Four, yes FOUR days of nearly impassable roads. The temperatures didn't get anywhere close to above freezing until this morning.  No school.  No ballet.  No play dates with anyone outside the neighborhood.  No going to the gym.  We had to cancel dermatologist and dentist appointments.  We had rolling blackouts.  Chris worked from home 3 of the last 4 days.  (Working on my computer.  In my office.  In my way. No offense to Chris, but if he's not home to play, he's kind of in the way.)  I know the rest of the country gets weather like this, but just remember this is Texas.  


We've actually had some good times.  Being forced to stay home forces us to have fun!  We made sugar cookies and the neighbors in walking distance came over to help decorate the cookies and have a picnic.





From Tuesday until Thursday there was just a huge sheet of ice on the ground, a couple inches thick.  Not much snow.  So Thursday the kids and I went "sledding" down our neighbor's driveway.  We don't own a sled (because we live in TEXAS where, apparently, it doesn't really snow), so we used the lid to the kids' sandbox.  I dropped Colton off with a neighbor and the big kids and I had a lot of fun!   




Then Thursday night it snowed.  It was supposed to snow 1-3 inches.  It snowed 6.  So then we had 6 inches of snow on top of 2 inches of ice.  By Friday I was fresh out of fun ideas.  We had already done about 3 crafts, baked about 4 different things, read books, played hide-n-go seek, watched movies, had play dates, and done just about everything else I could think of to do.  The kids were going nuts.  NUTS I tell you and I was about ready to lose my mind as well.  So, I called another neighbor (Our babysitter that lives across the alley.) And she came over to watch Colton while I took the kids to the park in the snow.



Then we came home and I put SEPARATE movies on for the kids in SEPARATE rooms AWAY from me and told them they couldn't come out until their movies were over.  I just could not stand the fighting and whining any more.  

And just to add a little contrast to how insane this whole thing has been.  Last Saturday we went out to celebrate Chris's birthday.  It was 75 degrees.  We sat out on the deck at the restaurant to eat.  In short sleeves.  We were not cold.


See the blue sky over his shoulder? 

Oh and happy birthday to Chris.  It's a little late, I know, but he's been on the computer all week.  I haven't been able to do anything except the essentials (and blogging isn't really essential).   Last Saturday we went to dinner and the MAVS game.  Then Sunday (his actual birthday) we had bbq ribs and twice baked potatoes and the family came over for dessert.


No, he's not 77 (I just couldn't find other candles).  He's 29.  The last year of his 20's.  Next year he'll be the big 3-0! 

4 comments:

Amanda said...

okay the 77 is FUNNY!
It's been a crazy week....that's for sure:) And yeah...having Steve at home working ( and he really needed to work the entire time! Was HARD!!)

Jessica and Rod said...

You were much nicer to your kids than I was. I don't really like playing in the snow so kept coming up with excuses. I'm about to die from boredom. I'm glad the sun's up now.

Erin said...

I'm mostly worried about having to get back in the groove one of these days. That's going to be rough for us! Dave worked from home the first day. He had the lap top and the computer with two separate screens all going at the same time in the office . . . which I had planned on cleaning. Who new he needed so many computers to get his work done! Drove me crazy! I don't know how some women function when their husbands are working from home.

Sarah said...

Crazy weather for you guys in Texas! WE have it here, but it's a little more expected. I hear you on going stir crazy in your house! But, at least the kids had some fun in the snow!